Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Student Voice as an Evaluation and Personal Vitamin

photo credit: Malingering via photopin cc

As your reflect on this year, where's your personal data?  I don't mean just the standardized test data, which I abhor.

Instead, I'm talking about using student voice, which tells you where you have succeeded and what to do next.  I'm talking class survey evaluations.

This has always been scary for me, but I finally took the plunge a few years ago..  You know, it's one of the best things I've ever done.  More meaningful than a formal evaluation, it shows me what kids like and what I can tweak to do better.  It gives me a structure for reflection that is personal.  I don't do this to share it with an evaluator.  I do it for myself.  I do it for the kids I will teach in the future.

I've found the best way to collect and use this data is to use a Google Form, which adapts well to smart phones. Here's a blank sample based on the form shown below. Save a copy to your Google Drive and edit your form under the Data Tab.

It might just kick start your thinking.  C'mon, it's got a proven high-potency ranking.  And it's good for you.
=========================================

No comments:

Post a Comment